Network Monitoring Software
Different ways of thinking of the phrase
Network monitoring software can be critical for many enterprises where the functioning of your network and servers is important or absolutely integral to your business.
There is freeware that can help you monitor your network traffic, so you know how much bandwidth is being used, with reports graphed daily or weekly.This will monitor your network usage parameters to help reduce costs and monitor resource usage. Freeware offered by PRTG Traffic Grapher (designed to run on Windows) is highly rated by users.
The biggest trend in network monitoring software is toward remote network monitoring so that you can monitor your networks from one central location, while you are traveling. RemotelyAnywhere from 3am Labs was the breakthrough product in this market and they continue to dominate with highly rated administrative diagnostics software. AlertSite has multi-functionalities, including e-mail and cell alerts to monitor the running of your website, servers and more.
Learn more about these by searching our resources for network monitoring software.Network Monitoring Software to Monitor Employees Internet Usage
We might be stepping into Orwellian territory when we discuss some network monitoring software. But the stats are interesting. SonicWALL (a network monitoring vendor okay, so theyre not disinterested) did a survey of IT managers (a group less likely to lie?) Some findings were somewhat startling:
- 50% of respondents said they spent more than 10% of their work time surfing the net for personal use.
- 60% said that their company had no stated rules against Web surfing.
- 16% of respondents have knowingly surfed pornography sites at work. (Whether this was habitual, intermittent or merely incidental was not part of the survey).
Another survey, by Salary.com and America Online, found that employees squander two hours a day online. Ouch. In any case, if you feel the need to justify the use of network monitoring software you probably do have reason.
There are some things that you can do to control or monitor employee internet use, but network monitoring software can do a lot of the job for you. Some of the key features to look for in network monitoring software are:
- Filtering of harmful websites, in both images and content.
- The ability to restrict internet time to a set schedule.
- Blocking instant messaging, P2P and other internet distractions.
- Limit the amount of data that can be sent, received or downloaded.
- Get detailed activity logs.
- Set different levels for different employees/students/family members, depending on how critical their use of the internet is.
Network monitoring software and internet security software overlap in this area. You may want to search our resources for both of these terms to find what you are looking for.